Israel Launches First Attack On Beirut Since Ceasefire Ended Israel-Hezbollah War

Last Updated:

Israel launched an attack on the Lebanese capital, Beirut, for the first time since a ceasefire ended the latest Israel-Hezbollah war in November.

Smoke rises following an Israeli airstrike on Dahiyeh, in the southern suburb of Beirut, Lebanon | AP Image
Smoke rises following an Israeli airstrike on Dahiyeh, in the southern suburb of Beirut, Lebanon | AP Image

Israeli warplanes hit the Hadath neighbourhood in Beirut’s southern suburbs on Friday, marking the first attack on the Lebanese capital since a ceasefire in November last year largely halted hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah.

Despite the November 27 ceasefire deal with the Hezbollah militant group, Israel has continued its offensive, striking targets in southern Lebanon.

related stories

    According to the Associated Press, a loud boom was heard in Beirut and smoke was seen rising from the area that Israel’s military had vowed to strike.

    It comes after the Israeli military warned people to evacuate parts of a Beirut suburb, vowing to retaliate against strikes which it said were launched from Lebanon into northern Israel.

    Residents of Hadath fled in panic after the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) issued an evacuation warning for a building in the area. People scrambled to escape by car and on foot, causing traffic congestion as fear swept through the neighbourhood, Reuters reported.

    Israel Vows To Continue Attack

    Amidst the series of targeted attacks in Lebanon, Israel’s defence minister said that if there was no peace in Israel’s northern communities there would be no peace in Beirut either.

    Meanwhile, Hezbollah denied reports of firing rockets at northern Israel. It further accused Israel of seeking a pretext to continue attacking Lebanon.

    Last week, Israeli airstrikes on several locations in Lebanon killed six people.

    In the wake of the war-like situation, the Lebanese government ordered the closure of all schools and universities in Beirut’s southern suburb of Hadath for the day.

    Israel-Hezbollah Conflict

    Hezbollah began launching rockets, drones, and missiles into Israel a day after Hamas’ October 7, 2023, attack from Gaza sparked the war.

    The Israel-Hezbollah conflict escalated into an all-out war in September, with Israel conducting waves of airstrikes that killed most of the militant group’s senior leaders.

    The fighting claimed over 4,000 lives in Lebanon and displaced around 60,000 Israelis.

    Under the ceasefire deal, Israeli forces were expected to withdraw from all Lebanese territory by late January. However, the deadline was extended to February 18, yet Israel has remained in five locations in Lebanon near northern Israeli communities.

    top videos

    View all
      player arrow

      Swipe Left For Next Video

      View all

      Meanwhile, Israel has carried out dozens of airstrikes on southern and eastern Lebanon, claiming to target Hezbollah, while continuing drone attacks that have killed several members of the militant group.

      News world Israel Launches First Attack On Beirut Since Ceasefire Ended Israel-Hezbollah War
      Read More
      PreviousNext